07-01-15 to 08-31-15
7-1-15 PG & HH – Meeting with veteran newly interested in volunteering as a Vet-to-Vet Compeer friend.
7-2-15 PG & HH – Interview and MHA tour with Sara, new veteran practicum WSU student.
7-5-15 HH – Patriotic Honor guest speaker to 2 Sunday School groups at 1st; PG presented Vet-to-Vet Compeer Support Program as well.
7-6-15 HH: Presentation to U.S. Air Force Airmen in the TAPS course regarding VPCSC, Vet-to-Vet Program & other local veteran resources, and Veterans’ Behavioral Health Advocacy Council (VBHAC).
PG – On Howard’s recommendation, PG spoke to Deputy Narciso Narvais, Sedgwick County Sheriff’s Department to request he arrange for PG, HH and 2 Compeer practicum students to tour the Mental Health Pod at the Sedgwick County jail.
PG – Spoke to Steve Gonzales VP Marketing and Public Relations from Alpha 1 Drop Zone regarding hosting an information booth for Vet-to-Vet Compeer and HH for VPCSC at a Veteran Appreciation event at Kia car dealership on August 15…a car will be given away to a veteran at this event.
7-7-15 HH – Round Table Employment for veterans meeting at Robert J. Dole VA Medical Center, led by Robin Madson. HH distributed VPCSC invitation flyer to various providers at this meeting and to Behavioral Health Service Providers at the VA. PG & HH consulted with a Vet-to-Vet volunteer and program participant, offering support.
7-8-15 Talked to vet-to-vet participant regarding concerns. PG – Visited with potential Vet-to-Vet volunteers.
7-9-15 Met with Jen McGill – Catholic Charities SSVF to pick up donated items for veterans. Met with Betsy McCosh – VA, Public Relations Officer – VA, John Orrell; Dr. Bean, Melissa Gronau, Mark – PAV at VA, Bob Emmert – Social Work Dept. – VA, Vet-to-Vet participant and volunteer, VA Peer Support Specialist – Lance, Vet-to-Vet potential female volunteer, representatives from Pyxyx; Anne Corriston – IFM.
7-10-15 Hutch was a guest speaker for VPCSC and Patty for Vet-to-Vet Compeer Support Program at American Legion Post 136 in Mulvane to welcome the flag/tour from 6 – 7 p.m.. 1 Flag 48 States 100 Days, led by Lt. Col. Susan Lee and co-organized by Larry Lee. The flag arrived from Joplin, MO and then headed to Oklahoma City, OK. Sara Mabe, WSU Veteran Practicum Student and Diann Mazurek, veteran advocate, attended event. Both Hutch & Patty received Certifications of Appreciation Awards.
7-13-15 HH will visit VPCSC providers.
7-14-15 HH & PG Attended homeless veteran providers’ meeting to offer support to veterans at UMOD; (attendees: Connie Jarvis, VA; Angie Burnham and Brandi Wright (WFC).
PG & HH and Compeer practicum students, Neil Fogg from Friends University and Sara Mabe from WSU toured the Mental Health Pod at the Sedgwick County Jail.
HH – Attended Continuum of Care (COC) meeting.
7-20-15 HH – Presentation to U.S. Air Force Airmen in the TAPS course regarding VPCSC, Vet-to-Vet Compeer Program & other local veteran resources, and Veterans’ Behavioral Health Advocacy Council (VBHAC)
HH – Had a meeting with Stephanie Jo Dykes & Travis (Last name)
HH – Attended Round Table Employment for veterans meeting at Robert J. Dole VA Medical Center, led by Robin Madson.
7-21-15 HH had brief meetings with John Orrell, Public Relations Director at VA, Jan Roberts; Local Recovery at the Dole VA Medical Center; and Barbara Hardyway.
7-22-15 HH delivered information and met with Jason Scheck and Commissioner Jim Howell regarding VPCSC meeting on 24th; also visited numerous VA providers.
7-23-15 HH visited veteran providers, including the Vet Center and United Way. PG visited 1st UMC to confirm needs for meeting.
7-24-15 Outstanding VPCSC meeting with Jason Scheck, Director of Outpatient Services at COMCARE, and Commissioner Jim Howell speaking to over 40 veteran service providers over lunch at First United Methodist Church. Jason Scheck highlighted the brand new location for the Community Crisis Center (CCC) – opened on July 24, at 635 N. Main with a detailed power point presentation and speech addressing the needs of the community regarding mental health/substance abuse care for citizens of Sedgwick County, along with streamlining care for those involved with law enforcement who are in crisis, saving the County millions of dollars by providing a “One Stop Shop” in the CCC.
Commissioner Jim Howell offered attendees insight on who he is…a Christian, native from Sedgwick County, a family man, a U.S. Veteran, former Kansas State Representative, caring deeply for others, with a heart for meeting the needs of Sedgwick County residents, in particular those residing in District 5, which he represents. He focused on the County making informed and sound decisions to provide the best services and care for more citizens. He applauded Jason Scheck’s leadership and COMCARE’s ability to help save taxpayers’ dollars by streamlining services such as providing the CCC.
7-28-15 PG & HH met with a newly referred veteran and his referral providers from Catholic Charities to participate in the Vet-to-Vet Compeer Support Program.
Met with new Vet-to-Vet volunteer at MHA.
HH & PG visited the VA and met with Carl Engle and Athena Williams, Employment Coordinator, both from Compensated Work Therapy (CWT).at the Robert J. Dole VA.
HH & PG attended Project Independence’s Annual Meeting where Howard Hutchison was re-elected to their Board of Directors for a 3-year term.
7-31-15 HH attended the Community Crisis Center (CCC) meeting.
8-3-15 HH and Rita Snider LSCSW, Veteran Justice Outreach Coordinator at Robert J Dole VA Medical Center reviewed details about Hutch providing VPCSC information at the upcoming Mental Health Summit being hosted by the VA in September.
HH met with Jeremy regarding VPCSC website.
8-4-15 James Gibson, Team Leader from the Vet Center, scheduled and held a meeting for HH and PG to meet with Clarence E. Slaughter Jr., LICSW Regional Manager Central Region of Vet Centers, to let him know about the partnerships being fostered by the Vet Center in the community and through the VPCSC and to learn about the Vet-to-Vet Compeer Support Program.
HH & PG co-facilitated the Life Skills Self-help support group at Project Independence.
8-5-15 HH attended Volunteer Managers’ Meeting at United Way.
8-6-15 PG & HH met with new Vet-to-Vet volunteer and scheduled match meeting for 8-11-15.
HH met with Dean N. Rhein, Privacy/FOIA Officer, Robert J. Dole VA in line with VA Policies and Procedures.
- Met with a veteran in Building 5A to assist with workman’s compensation benefits.
- Met with Nicole R. Loeffler, Human Resources Specialist, Workman’s Compensation/Employee Benefits.
- Met with David Kennedy, VFW State Assistant Service Officer, Dept. of Kansas.
- Met with David Koopmans, The American Legion Veterans’ Affairs Representative.
- Gathered a general consensus on having Mr. Francisco Vazquez, M.B.A., Medical Center Director of the Robert J. Dole VA Medical Center as a guest speaker at our next VPCSC meeting.
8-8-15 PG spoke to Amy Paden, Founder and President of Hearts of America, Inc. based in Salina, KS regarding her request of HH for the VPCSC to host an information table at a fundraiser “Ride for a Hero” event at Alef’s on Saturday, October 3, setting up between 8 – 8:30 a.m. until 11:30 a.m. Information will be posted on VPCSC calendar and FB along with an email encouraging veteran providers to contact Amy if they are interested in participating with an information table. Rain or shine…if rain, we will set up at American Legion Post #4 to greet riders as they finish.
8-10-15 PG & HH: Vet-to-Vet Compeer new match meeting – female veterans.
8-11-15 PG & HH: Vet-to-Vet Compeer new match meeting.
HH & PG – Attended meeting at United Methodist Open Door hosted by VA to offer supportive services to homeless veterans.
PG & HH – C0-facilitated Life Skills Group at Project Independence.
8-12-15 HH & PG prepared VPCSC and Vet-to-Vet Compeer Support Program materials for a display/information table at Saturday’s “Honor a Hero” special event for veterans at Midwest Kia to promote available services for veterans and their families.
HH & PG prepared VPCSC and Vet-to-Vet Compeer Support Program materials for their bi-monthly debriefing at McConnell AFB to TAPS class members of airmen preparing to separate from the military.
8 – 13- 15 HH secured Jason Deselms, PhD., Suicide Prevention Coordinator, Robert J. Dole VA Medical Center as our next guest speaker at our August 28 VPCSC meeting.
8-14-15 HH attended Suicide Prevention Coalition meeting at COMCARE.
HH developed a tri-fold display board for the VPCSC to use at Midwest Kia and future events.
8-15-15 (Sat.) HH hosted a VPCSC and Vet-to-Vet Compeer Support Program information booth/table for over 6 hours at Midwest Kia, advocating for veterans.
8-17-15 HH & PG debriefed 28 airmen participating in the TAPS class at McConnell AFB who are preparing to separate from the military, informing them of veteran resources.
HH: Weekly: Every Tuesday from 9 a.m. – Noon: At United Methodist Open Door, available to visit with and assist homeless veterans.
HH: Bi-monthly: VPCSC debriefing at TAP – McConnell Military & Family Readiness Center.
- Crisis Intervention Team (CIT) meeting
- Community Crisis Center (CCC) meeting
- Continuum of Care (COC) meeting
- Suicide Prevention Coalition
- Compeer Advisory Board meeting / activities / special events
- United Way Volunteer Managers’ meeting
- Project Independence Board meeting
05-01-15 to 06-30-15
5-4-15 HH and PG debriefed U.S. Airmen in the TAPS class at McConnell AFB regarding the Veterans Advocacy Council for Behavioral Health (V.A.C.B.H.), Vet-to-Vet Compeer Support Program and Veteran Providers’ Coalition of Sedgwick County (VPCSC) as they consider or are in the process of transitioning into civilian life.
HH met with Prairie Pilot Club members and updated them on the donated trike regarding needing to find a different recipient due to physical limitations. They are looking forward to working together with the VPCSC on this initiative.
Personal visits/meetings with VPCSC service providers and community leaders.
5-5-15 PG & HH facilitated the Life Skills Self-Help group at Project Independence, then met with their Executive Director – Howard as a PI Board Member and PG as a community partner leader.
5-6-14 HH & PG met with Mayor Jeff Longwell and discussed VPCSC, VACBH and the Vet-to-Vet Compeer Support Program. HH also explained the Mission of Project Independence, Inc. (CRO) and their involvement of veterans. They discussed the possible funding cuts PI is facing from the County and the State and the repercussions it would cause, including transportation for PI members to return home in the evening after public transit is not available. Mayor Longwell is in full support of the combined efforts of the VPCSC. He shared that he has a dear family friend, a 98 year old WWII Veteran who may be able to be a guest speaker at an upcoming VPCSC meeting.
5-7-15 HH met with Neil Fogg, Friends Univ. practicum student regarding VPCSC organizational development, flowcharts of service providers & direction for power point presentation material.
Reserved room for next VPCSC meeting at First United Methodist Church (UMC), 330 N. Broadway, for Friday, May 29 from Noon – 2:00 p.m. in Room 101-B.
HH sent email to Coalition members highlighting upcoming Veteran & Armed Forces Day events and next VPCSC meeting details.
5-11-15: HH and PG:
- Debriefed Senior U.S. Airmen at 8 a.m. during their first of five days in TAPS class at McConnell AFB regarding the Veterans Advocacy Council for Behavioral Health (V.A.C.B.H.), Vet-to-Vet Compeer Support Program and Veteran Providers’ Coalition of Sedgwick County (VPCSC) as they transition into civilian life.
- Robert J. Dole VAMC – Visited with Dr. Hurley and corresponded with Robin Madson, Compensated Work Therapy Program Coordinator, about possible referrals for Vet-to-Vet Compeer Support Program. Went by all VSO offices (Purple Heart, Paralyzed American Veterans, Wounded Warriors, American Legion and Veterans of Foreign War) about VPCSC and V.A.C.B.H.
- Scheduled visit with Pastor Kent at First UMC to share information about VPCSC/meeting, V.A.C.B.H. & Vet-to-Vet Program.
- Visited a Vet-to-Vet participant at Shirkmere Apts.
- Made numerous Vet-to-Vet Compeer calls, making plans to visit with a current participant mid-week and a new volunteer late in the week regarding a possible new referral.
- Spoke to Steve Gonzales VP Marketing & Community Relations from Alpha 1 Drop Zone Military Supply Store about the VPCSC, V.A.C.B.H. & Vet-to-Vet Compeer Program partnering with them to promote supporting Veterans.
5-12-15 HH: United Methodist Open Door (UMOD): Available for homeless Veterans outreach between 9 a.m. – Noon. While there, he/HH met with Andy Mills, Homeless Services Director email@example.com and Connie Jarvais, LMSW HCHV Case Manager & Outreach about the VPCSC, V.A.C.B.H. and the upcoming Kansas Statewide Homeless Coalition conference on May 14 – 15 in Wichita, KS.
PG & HH led Life Skills group at Project Independence.
HH, PG & 2 Project Independence members attended a meet and greet with Mayor Jeff Longwell at Mead’s Corner.
- HH met with Steve Gonzales, VP Marketing & Community Relations at Alpha 1 Drop Zone to make final plans to attend their Grand Opening on Saturday, May 16th to promote the VPCSC, V.A.C.B.H. & Vet-to-Vet Compeer Program.
- PG met with female Veteran at the Robert J. Dole VAMC who was recently referred to the Vet-to-Vet Program by the Compensated Work Therapy Program Coordinator.
- PG met with male Veteran at the Robert J. Dole VAMC who is interested in having a Vet-to-Vet Compeer Friend. PG & HH have met with this Veteran on two previous occasions at Inter-Faith Ministries.
- HH attended the Behavioral Health Staff meeting at the Robert J. Dole VA Medical Center.
- PG delivered 2 small brochure racks that were donated by the United Way to Alpha 1 Drop Zone to post information about Veteran services.
- HH met with Pastor Kent at First UMC to share information about May 29th VPCSC/meeting, V.A.C.B.H. & Vet-to-Vet Compeer Support Program. He graciously offered space for the May 29 meeting free of charge.
- HH & PG attended an early evening event at United Methodist Open Door as community partners, representing the VPCSC, V.A.C.B.H. & Vet-to-Vet Compeer Program as part of the Kansas Statewide Homeless Coalition.
- [Kansas Statewide Homeless Coalition will be hosting the 16th Annual Statewide Summit on Homelessness and Housing, Zero 2016: A Call to Actionwhich will take place at Holiday Inn at Kellogg and Rock Road on May 14-15, 2015.]
5-15-15 PG delivered a framed Vet-to-Vet Compeer Support Program volunteer flyer to Alpha 1 Drop Zone which will be permanently displayed on the wall behind their cash register, reflecting Alpha 1 Drop Zone’s support for Veterans and the program.
Char Powell, Compeer Coordinator, attended Amber McAnulla’s WSU Graduation Celebration. Amber, a veteran, completed two practicum semesters with the Vet-to-Vet Compeer Support Program at MHA and has participated in VPCSC meetings.
5-16-15 PG, HH & one of his Vet-to-Vet Compeer friends attended the Alpha 1 Drop Zone’s (military supply store) Grand Opening on Armed Forces Day. HH & PG had a display table in the afternoon, visited with guests, customers and various Veteran service providers about the VPCSC and Vet-to-Vet Compeer Support Program. Partnerships were established with Cloud 9 Therapeutic Equine Foundation, Inc., who proudly serve America’s Veterans and their families and with Passageways, Ltd. Living Center for Veterans transitioning from homelessness. Made connection between Cloud 9 and Team RWB of Wichita, which enriches the lives of America’s Veterans by connecting them to their community through physical and social activity. Team RWB plans to hold a social gathering at Cloud 9 and attend their special event on Saturday, June 13.
5-19-15 Compensated Work Therapy (CWT) Round Table meeting led by Robin Madson, CWT Program Coordinator at Robert J. Dole VAMC held in conference room at Rusty Eck Ford. HH gave a brief explanation of Project Independence and PG highlighted the Vet-to-Vet Compeer Program as community resources for Veterans wanting additional support.
PG & HH facilitated the Life Skills Self Help group at Project Independence with the focus being on PI’s funding, current world/local news and the roles of city/county/state/federal elected officials.
5-20-15 HH attended Crisis Intervention Team (CIT) meeting held at COMCARE.
5-21-15 PG spent time working in the VAMC Peace Garden with female Veteran recently referred to the Vet-to-Vet Compeer Support Program.
Neil Fogg (Friends University Master’s Practicum Student) submitted updated VPCSC charts and two power-point presentation drafts for VPCSC.
5-26-15 HH & PG met with Neil Fogg (Friends University Master’s Practicum Student) to work on VPCSC power-point presentation slides.
HH (Newly elected Board of Directors member at PI) & PG attended Project Independence (PI) Board Meeting.
5-27-15 PG & HH met with Vet-to-Vet Compeer participant for an update.
5-28-15 PG & HH met with VAMC provider regarding participant in Vet-to-Vet Compeer Program.
5-29-15 VPCSC meeting was held from Noon – 1 p.m. at First United Methodist Church. Guests speakers were Officer Justin Whyte regarding Mental Health First Aid with a Veterans focus and Officer Lisa Berg, sharing information about the H.O.T. (Homeless Outreach Team) from WPD.
Hutch featured a VPCSC slideshow including structure, history, charting of Mission Statement outlay, calendar of events, daily activities and website. In attendance: Jennifer, Alyssa, Becky, Rick, Brandi, Angie, Ben, Stacia, Shondella, Jen, Neil, Justin, Lona, Renee, Lisa, Susan, Matt, Jamie, Aaron, Aaron, David, Brad, Donna, Steve, Sarah, Daniel, James, Timothy, Hutch and Patty. It was suggested in the meeting by a VPCSC member that a website/email link with individuals’ names/agencies be listed in the text of the “Daily Activities” log. Members stayed until 1:45 p.m. networking.
5-31-15 HH – Visited Veteran at TLC who’s in our Vet-to-Vet Compeer Support Program… ROBERT J. DOLE VA MEDICAL CENTER www.wichita.va.gov
02-20-15 to 04-30-15
VETERAN PROVIDERS’ COALITION OF SEDGWICK COUNTY (VPCSC)
2-20-15 Howard “Hutch” Hutchison (HH) firstname.lastname@example.org and Patty Gnefkow (PG) email@example.com hosted the first Veteran Providers’ Coalition (VPC) meeting at the Mental Health Association of South Central Kansas (MHASCK), consisting of 28 attendees from 16 veteran service providers in the Wichita community.
2-23-15 HH and PG debriefed U.S. Airmen in TAPS at McConnell AFB regarding the Veterans Advocacy Council for Behavioral Health (V.A.C.B.H.), Vet-to-Vet Compeer Support Program & newly formed Veteran Providers’ Coalition (VPC) as they consider or are in the process of transitioning into civilian life.
PG and HH presented information about Vet-to-Vet Program, V.A.C.B.H. and VPC to 30+ Wichita State University (WSU) Psychology students. A female veteran approached Hutch afterwards needing advice for a female veteran who is navigating her way through the VA with regards to benefits. The veteran from class became a Compeer volunteer to tutor adults with mental illness who are working on completing their high school education.
Patty and a Compeer Advisory Board member who is also a Compeer participant made a Compeer presentation, including the Vet-to-Vet program, to 15 Butler County Community College (BCCC) students.
2-24-15 PG and HH provided Vet-to-Vet training to a new Compeer veteran volunteer who will be involved in the process of developing the VPC as well as mentoring a fellow veteran.
Hutch was available for support to veterans at United Methodist Open Door (UMOD) day shelter for the homeless.
PG, HH and Compeer staff member, Charlene Powell hosted a pizza party for veterans residing at Inter-Faith Ministries (IFM), veteran volunteers from the community, IFM’s CEO and staff members including Anne Corriston, Sandy Swank and Roxanne Moren to get acquainted and learn more about the Vet-to-Vet Compeer Support Program. Hutch picked up one of his Compeer friends and attended the gathering together.
2-25-15 Patty and Compeer Advisory Board member/participant made another presentation about Vet-to-Vet and other Compeer programs to 20 BCCC students.
2-26-15 PG and HH provided Vet-to-Vet Program Orientation to newly interested veteran volunteer who attends WSU, meeting at the Riley Leroy Pitts Military and Veteran Center (Vet Center on WSU Campus).
3-2-15 HH and PG visited Senator Pat Robert’s office, representing the VACBH, VPCSC and Vet-to-Vet Compeer Support Program.
3-3-15 HH and PG met with Jen McGill, Outreach Specialist Support Services for Veteran Families at Catholic Charities (CC), regarding the VPC and feedback from first meeting. Patty also visited with Compeer participant who volunteers at CC.
Hutch was available for support to veterans at United Methodist Open Door (UMOD) day shelter for the homeless.
3-5-15 Patty Chaired and Hutch attended as a Board Member, the Compeer Advisory Board meeting, giving detailed feedback on Vet-to-Vet program and VPC. Eric Schultz, fellow Compeer Advisory Board Member, gave a report on his visits to the mens’ winter emergency shelter for the homeless at IFM. Eric reported that he regularly visits with veterans and offers them Howard’s contact information for further support.
3-6-15 HH and PG paid visits and delivered Vet-to-Vet referral packets to the Social Work, Primary Care and Behavioral Health VAMC.
3-9-15 HH and PG met with current leader, Tom Pletcher, of the Sedgwick County Veterans’ Coalition (SCVC) that meets bi-annually. He suggested we extend an invitation to SCVC members to attend future VPC meetings and join the efforts of the VPC.
PG and HH provided Vet-to-Vet Program Orientation to newly interested female veteran volunteer who attends WSU, meeting at the Vet Center on WSU Campus.
Hutch and Patty met with VPC’s pro-bono webmaster to set up web account and discuss basic design/development of the Veteran Providers’ Coalition of Sedgwick County (VPCSC) website.
3-10-15 PG and HH joined a Kansas Leadership Center (KLC) statewide conference call of Kansas leaders discussing “Engaging Unusual Voices” regarding civic leadership, followed by a personal visit to KLC and meeting with KLC’s CEO Ed O’Malley. Ed was very impressed with the formation of the VPCSC, Vet-to-Vet Compeer Support Program and veteran related activities with the Veteran’s Advocacy Council for Behavioral Health.
Hutch attended the Homeless Veteran Providers’ meeting and was available for support to veterans at United Methodist Open Door (UMOD) day shelter for the homeless.
3-11-15 Hutch represented the V.A.C.B.H. and attended the United Way Volunteer Managers’ Meeting which was facilitated by Mark Stump and Becky Springer.
Patty coordinated and took a female veteran, who is a WSU student, to visit with a VA Regional Office representative regarding placement as a work study student at the VA.
3-11-15 Hutch met with one of his Vet-to-Vet Compeer Support program friends who had recently been hospitalized.
- Attended the Suicide Prevention Coalition (SPC) meeting at COMCARE.
- Attended the Community Crisis Center (CCC) planning group meeting at COMCARE.
- Visited several Veteran Service Organizations (VSO’s) at the Veteran Affairs Medical Center (VAMC).
3-15-15 VPCSC website goes live!
3-16-15 Patty took Cowley County Community College (CCCC) student to tour WSU Military Vet Center and visit with WSU veterans.
3-17-15 HH and PG were available for support to veterans at the United Methodist Open Door (UMOD) day shelter for the homeless.
PG and HH visited Sandy Swank, Director of Case Management and Roxanne Moren, Property Manager at IFM regarding veteran residents.
3-18-15 Hutch attended the Crisis Intervention Team (CIT) meeting at COMCARE.
3-19-15 Patty introduced new veteran volunteer tutor to MHA’s education specialist and toured MHA.
3-20-15 Hutch and Patty facilitated the second VPC meeting at MHA. It was decided the Coalition would be named the Veteran Providers’ Coalition of Sedgwick County (VPCSC).
3-23-15 HH and PG debriefed U.S. Airmen in the TAPS class at McConnell AFB regarding the Veterans Advocacy Council for Behavioral Health (V.A.C.B.H.), Vet-to-Vet Compeer Support Program and Veteran Providers’ Coalition of Sedgwick County (VPCSC) as they consider or are in the process of transitioning into civilian life.
3-23-15 PG, HH and two Compeer Vet-to-Vet program volunteers attended a bi-monthly Compeer Socialization Outreach that includes Veterans at an apartment building.
3-24-15 PG and HH met with newly referred veteran to the Vet-to-Vet program, getting to know him, his family and explaining the logistics of the program.
HH and PG attended a Robert J. Dole VAMC Town Hall meeting as representatives of the VPCSC and Vet-to-Vet program.
PG, HH & Amber McAnulla – WSU Veteran Student Intern/Compeer Volunteer, co-facilitated the weekly Life Skills self-help group at Project Independence, a consumer run organization (CRO), which welcomes Veterans.
3-25-15 Hutch paid visits to Vet-to-Vet Compeer Support program referral sources at VAMC.
Hutch re-visited Senator Pat Robert’s office about the VPCSC and partnerships with Veteran service providers.
3-26-15 VPCSC and Vet-to-Vet strategic planning.
3-27-15 PG, HH and another Vet-to-Vet Compeer Support program volunteer visited the emergency transitional housing for homeless veterans in Newton, KS, spending time in the community with a Compeer participant, visiting with new residents and staff, leaving program referral forms.
- HH and PG met with VPCSC webmaster to design “Recent Past Daily Activities” section of on-line calendar and posted an upcoming event.
- HH and PG were guest speakers at the Prairie Pilot Club of Wichita a ladies’ auxiliary philanthropic group led by Carol Hirsh that provides support to those in need in our community. Prairie Pilot Club has received matching grants from Prairie Pilot Club, International to finance many special projects. They have generously donated a $1,500 specialized bicycle for a wounded warrior who is in the Vet-to-Vet Compeer Support Program which will be tailor made just for him. The Prairie Pilot Club is the first donor to the VPCSC.
- PG, HH & Amber McAnulla – WSU Veteran Student Intern/Compeer Volunteer, co-facilitated the weekly Life Skills self-help group at Project Independence, a consumer run organization (CRO), which welcomes Veterans.
3-31-15 PG and HH led the weekly Life Skills self-help group at Project Independence, a consumer run organization (CRO), which is also open to veterans.
4-1-15 HH & PG:
- Attended a breakfast meeting with the Director, an Athletic Director and a member of Wichita Team Red, White and Blue (Team RWB) whose mission is to connect America’s veterans to their community through physical and social activity. They are very interested in getting involved with the VPCSC and Vet-to-Vet Compeer Support program.
- Attended the United Way volunteer manager’s meeting, sharing information about VPCSC and Coalition agencies’ involvement.
- Visited with Team Leader at the Vet Center downtown regarding their information to post on the VPCSC website and the Vet-to-Vet program.
- Met with social worker at VAMC regarding Vet-to-Vet program referrals, in particular women veterans.
- Hutch had a brief meeting with VA physician regarding Vet-to-Vet participant who will be receiving the above mentioned specialized bicycle and working with that veteran with regards to having a physical therapist involved in the process.
- Patty met with HCHV Coordinator, and veteran being referred to the Vet-to-Vet program; scheduled an orientation meeting with veteran.
4-2-15 PG & HH:
- Compeer & VPCSC presentation to MHA staff members about a variety of services.
- Orientation meeting with a VAMC provider and female veteran who is interested in having a Vet-to-Vet Compeer Friend.
- Follow up calls were made to VPCSC community partners and Vet-to-Vet referral sources. Delivered Vet-to-Vet referral packets to VAMC providers.
- Met with disabled Vet-to-Vet participant at the VAMC; discussed process of obtaining a specialized bicycle for him once approved by his care team.
4-3-15 PG met with a Vet-to-Vet female volunteer who is providing tutoring at MHA to adults working on earning their high school diploma through Project Encore.
4-4-15 PG attended a Team RWB social at Sedgwick County Park. Over 20 team members enjoyed a picnic, games, an Easter egg hunt for children and a members’ physical fitness challenge. Two members ran the Youth Horizons Easter Sun Run. Patty spoke to the group about partnering the VPCSC and Vet-to-Vet Compeer Support Program. A Team RWB leader expressed a concern for a disabled veteran who would benefit from having a customized bicycle, which would afford him an opportunity to improve his health and independence through physical and social activity.
At the request of the Prairie Pilot Club of Wichita, Hutch contacted Frank Chaple with AMBUCS in reference to scheduling a presentation at their next meeting.
4-6-15 HH and PG debriefed U.S. Airmen in the TAPS class at McConnell AFB as they consider or are in the process of transitioning into civilian life. They learned about the Veterans Advocacy Council for Behavioral Health (V.A.C.B.H.), Vet-to-Vet Compeer Support Program and Veteran Providers’ Coalition of Sedgwick County (VPCSC).
PG & HH met with referral source at VAMC regarding Vet-to-Vet program.
- Mayor’s Proclamation for Compeer Friendship Week – Patty, Hutch, Compeer staff and Advisory Board Member/Compeer Friend received Mayor’s Proclamation. PG gave a speech about Compeer programs, partnership with the newly formed VPCSC and recognized Hutch for his leadership and involvement in both the VPCSC and Vet-to-Vet program.
- HH & PG visited with Inter-Faith Ministries staff, Roxanne, Sherrill and Sandy, then tried to meet with a veteran who was not home. Met with female Compeer veteran volunteer at the Salvation Army for match update and support.
- PG & HH met with new Vet-to-Vet program referred female, her service provider at VAMC about the program, then met with a female veteran Compeer volunteer who will be matched with her next week.
- HH spent time with one of his Vet-to-Vet Compeer friends in the community.
- HH & PG attended Wichita Mayoral Candidate Watch Parties, congratulating Jeff for his successful campaign. Patty and Amber (WSU practicum student/Vet-to-Vet program participant) met Jim Sullivan, a member of the Wichita Marine Corps League, which recently made a donation to the WSU Military and Veteran Center. Patty and Amber explained the partnerships between the VPCSC, WSU Vet Center and the Vet-to-Vet Program. Patty invited Jim to join her and Hutch to visit the WSU Vet Center soon and meet Sarah Sell, Director of Student Veteran Services on campus. He invited PG & HH to speak at the April Marine Corps League meeting.
- PG, HH & Amber McAnulla – WSU Veteran Student Intern/Compeer Volunteer, co-facilitated the weekly Life Skills self-help group at Project Independence, a consumer run organization (CRO), which welcomes Veterans.
4-8-15 PG & HH met with James Gibson, Team Leader of the Wichita Vet Center, and 5 WSU Master’s of Social Work students who chose to focus on the needs and services of veterans in the Wichita community for their semester project. James outlined the mission and services provided by the Vet Center with a Q&A wrap up.
4-9-15 HH & PG met with and introduced Jim Sullivan, member of the Wichita Marines Corps League, to Sarah Sell, Director of Student Veteran Students at WSU, developing a partnership between the VPCSC, Marine Corps League and the Riley Leroy Pitts Military and Veteran Center at WSU.
PG & HH met with a new Vet-to-Vet volunteer at the WSU Veteran Center for him to select a program participant as a Vet-to-Vet Compeer friend.
VPCSC website development.
- Patty and Howard offered feedback to Amber McAnulla, veteran and WSU student intern, for her semester evaluation in the Vet-to-Vet Compeer Support program at MHA.
- Meeting with VPCSC webmaster.
- HH & PG attended the MSW Student Information Session at VAMC, led by Stephany Schroeder, LCSW, MSW Student Coordinator.
- Met with VAMC provider and received female veteran referral for Vet-to-Vet Compeer Support program.
- Networked with Debbie Wilse and Briann, WSU Master’s Social Work Student Coordinators about the VPCSC and future MSW interns for Compeer.
- Lisa Rome attended the MSW Student Information Session and networked about the VPCSC.
- Exchanged information with a KU Master of Social Work student, Jessica, who is a member of the Jr. League with connections at the Kansas Statehouse.
- Visited with one of HH’s Vet-to-Vet Compeer Support program friends at the VAMC.
- Met with VAMC doctor regarding an update on the need for a physical therapist to be involved in the process of a customized bicycle being made for a disabled veteran in the Vet-to-Vet program. He recommended that HH contact Physical Therapy at VAMC with information about the bicycle company and their requirements.
4-13-15 PG & HH participated in a conference call with Cheri Faunce, Director of Kansas Mentors in Topeka, KS and a member of the Compeer, Inc. National Board of Directors regarding the Vet-to-Vet Compeer Support Program & the VPCSC.
4-14-15: HH & PG:
- Planning meeting with Neil Fogg, a veteran and Organizational Development Master’s level student at Friends University who will be working on VPCSC initiatives for his senior practicum project.
- Met with the Patient Advocate at VAMC regarding the Vet-to-Vet Compeer Support Program and VPCSC as a resource for Veterans.
- Met with Bob Emmert (check spelling & add title – VAMC Social work dept. lead), regarding the VPCSC and Vet-to-Vet Compeer Support Program about the possibility of speaking at a Social Work Department staff meetings.
- Formal introduction to John Orrell, Public Affairs Officer, U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs at the Robert J. Dole VA Medical Center.
- Met with Physical Therapist regarding the process of assessing a veteran’s capabilities to qualify for receiving a custom made trike.
4-15-15 VAMC Medical Care Foster Home Social Worker delivered Vet-to-Vet Compeer Support Program referral to PG at MHA for a veteran living in a medical care foster home.
4-16-15 HH & PG delivered Vet-to-Vet Compeer Support Program referral materials for Medical Foster Care Home Providers’ Training at the VAMC.
HH met with John Orrell, Public Affairs Officer at VAMC and discussed and reviewed the VPCSC and VACBH.
- HH made personal visits to Social Work staff members at the VAMC about the VPCSC.
- HH was at the Training for Medical Foster Care Home Providers at VAMC and visited with providers, including one who cares for a Veteran who has been referred to the Vet-to-Vet Compeer Support Program.
- PG, HH and Veterans Upward Bound (VUB) from Wichita State University (WSU) staff members attended MHA’s Compeer Program’s 30 year anniversary & volunteer recognition event. Veterans participating in and/or partnering with the Vet-to-Vet Compeer Support Program were recognized.
- HH & PG met with VAMC social work provider regarding customized trike for a disabled veteran.
4-20-15 HH and PG debriefed U.S. Airmen in the TAPS class at McConnell AFB as they consider or are in the process of transitioning into civilian life. They learned about the Veterans Advocacy Council for Behavioral Health (V.A.C.B.H.), Vet-to-Vet Compeer Support Program and Veteran Providers’ Coalition of Sedgwick County (VPCSC).
PG & HH met with veteran referred to the Vet-to-Vet Compeer Support Program.
4-21-15 PG, HH & Amber, Veteran from WSU attended monthly volunteer recognition at Project Independence in lieu of leading the Life Skills group due to being on same evening.
4-22-15 Hutch met with Neil Fogg, Friends University Master’s Level student to develop a Veteran Providers’ Coalition Resource Chart to be posted on VPCSC website, VACBH blogsite.
4-23-15: PG & HH:
- Held Vet-to-Vet Compeer Support initial meeting between two female veterans. They are looking forward to spending time together, especially in the community. PG then met with participant’s VAMC provider who referred her to the program and was very pleased that this veteran was matched so quickly with a veteran friend.
- Met with two Vet-to-Vet Compeer Support participants who were going to appointments at the VAMC and received their feedback about their friendship matches, VAMC services and emergency housing.
- Assembled marketing materials for VPCSC and VACBH for distribution to key stakeholders in the community, including Mayor Jeff Longwell, City Council Members, County Commissioners, Judge Timothy Lahey – 18th Judicial District Court.
- Made calls to Vet-to-Vet Compeer Support participants and volunteer mentors to offer support, encouragement and ask what resources participants may need. One veteran expressed the need for basic household items such as toilet paper, laundry detergent and personal hygiene products. PG will work on either supplying available items and/or connecting this veteran to resources for assistance.
4-27-15 PG made calls to additional Vet-to-Vet Compeer Support participants and mentors to listen and support their friendships.
HH worked on VPCSC and VACBH strategic planning and website development.
4-28-15 HH & PG:
- Visited with female Veteran about Vet-to-Vet Compeer Support Program.
- Delivered Vet-to-Vet Program Volunteer card to lady Veteran.
- United Methodist Open Door (UMOD): Homeless Veterans Outreach.
- Inter-Faith Ministries: Met with Roxanne Moren, Property Manager and Sandy Swank, Director of Case Management about VPCSC bio for website, then visited with Veteran resident interested in the Vet-to-Vet Compeer Support Program.
- Breakthrough Club (BTC): Delivered VPCSC information and Vet-to-Vet Compeer Support Program to Dave Kapten, Program Director.
- Wichita Veteran Center: Delivered VPCSC information to Angela Johnson, Counselor. Left message for Tim Hamilton regarding Vet-to-Vet Compeer Support Program referral.
- Salvation Army: Delivered VPCSC and Vet-to-Vet Program information to Vickie McDaniel, SSVF KS Case Manager and Aaron Lovelady, Veteran Mentor.
- Site visit / tour of First United Methodist Church; reserved room 101-B for upcoming May VPCSC meeting.
- Hutchison (HH) was elected to the Board of Director’s at Project Independence, Inc. (P.I.) It is an honor to be a part of a consumer run organization (CRO) and resinate a stronger voice for Veterans in need and of the vital role P.I. plays in the community…
4-29-15 PG, HH & Char Powell — Hosted a women’s Veteran event to recognize a Compeer veteran who is graduating from WSU with her undergraduate degree in May and soon beginning her Master’s of Social Work studies at WSU.
4-30-15 HH & PG met with Neil Fogg, Friends University student and Veteran to work on development of VACBH, Vet-to-Vet Compeer Support Program and VPCSC community Veteran providers’ resource flow chart.
PG attended planning meeting for 3rd Annual Veteran’s Appreciation Event on June 20 at Alef’s Motorcycles.
HH posted new veteran service providers’ flow chart, which is a work in progress, on behavioralhealthwest.blogspot.com which will be posted on the VPCSC website once finalized.